- 1 large of bitter melon, sliced in half with seeds removed
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- cooking oil
- Slice the bitter melon into thin, half crescent shaped pieces.
- Now soak the bitter melon in salted water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bitter melon from the salt water and squeeze it with your hands slightly to remove some of the bitter taste.
- Then rinse the bitter melon and set it aside.
- Add the cooking oil to a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Now add the garlic and onion and stir occasionally.
- Saute for a minute then add the bitter melon.
- Pour the vegetable broth and fish sauce into the pan.
- Bring this to a boil then reduce the heat to low.
- Stir occasionally until the bitter melon is tender but do not overcook.
- Remove the pan from the heat and serve the food on a serving dish.
Tips: Be aware of the salt content in the fish sauce and broth you are using since the bitter melon gets a salt water bath prior to cooking. You don’t want the dish to be too salty.