This is Leche Flan (Custard with Caramel Topping). Leche Flan is a custard dessert with a layer of soft caramel on top. This is a very popular dessert and is often served during special occasions in the Philippines. Enjoy this recipe from us at .
- 12 ounces of canned evaporated milk
- 14 ounces of sweetened condensed milk
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup of water
- aluminum foil molds
- In a sauce pan, dissolve the brown sugar in the water over low heat.
- Do not stir, just swirl the pan gently while it cooks.
- Cook until this mixture thickens and caramelizes.
- Then pour a small amount of the syrup in the aluminum foil molds, just enough to make a thin, 1⁄4 to 1⁄8 inch layer.
- Spread the caramel on the bottom of the molds.
- Repeat with more molds until the syrup is gone.
- Set the molds aside to let the caramel cool and set.
- Now combine the evaporated milk, condensed milk, egg yolks and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Gently mix the ingredients using a wire whisk until well blended.
- Slowly pour the mixture into each of the molds, up to about 1 to 1 1⁄4 inch thick.
- Cover each of the molds individually with aluminum foil.
- Steam the molds for 30-35 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick in each flan and when it come out clean and no lumps, it is done.
- Next remove the molds from the steamer.
- Let it cool at room temperature then refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When you are ready to serve remove the covers, then run a thin knife around the edges of the molds to loosen the leche flan.
- Place a serving plate over the top of a single mold, then quickly turn the mold and plate upside down together and gently lift the aluminum foil molds up.
- Repeat with the remaining molds.
- Top each leche flan with whipped cream topping if you like.
- Serve and enjoy!
Republished by Blog Post Promoter