This is Lechon Kawali. Lechon Kawali is a pan-roasted pork belly. This dish can be eaten alone or with a side dish such as steamed rice. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 2 pounds of pork belly
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed then peeled
- 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 5 pieces of bay leaf
- water for boiling
- cooking oil for frying
- Put the pork belly, garlic, peppercorns, bayleaf and 1 tablespoon of salt in a large ziplock bag.
- Make sure the pork is coated evenly with all the spices.
- Place the bag of pork in the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
- The next day, put all of the contents of the bag in a large pot.
- Add enough water to cover the pork belly entirely.
- Place the pot over medium heat to simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the pork belly from the pot and let it cool down for a few minutes.
- Rub the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt all over the surface of the meat.
- Heat some cooking oil in a large pot or deep fryer.
- There should be enough oil to completely submerge the pork.
- Deep fry the pork belly until it is golden brown in color and the meat is crispy.
- Remove the meat from oil and set it on some paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- When the pork belly has cooled enough to be handled, chop it into serving pieces.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
Tips: Remember when frying the pork belly, the inner part is already fully cooked so you only need to make the outside crisp. This means it should not take very long.