This is Spicy Shrimp Nachos. This is a tasty treat that we whipped together one night after being inspired by the fish tacos we had made the night before. We had all the ingredients we needed left over from the tacos (minus the fish) and we had some shrimp so we thought, why not nachos. The result was spectacular. Enjoy this recipe from us at .
- 1/2 pound of medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a small onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- pinch of salt
- pinch of paprika
- pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- pinch of garlic salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups of colby jack cheese, shredded
- olive oil
- tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup of sour cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup of salsa (optional)
- Add the fresh shrimp to a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper and garlic salt on the shrimp.
- Lightly toss the shrimp with a spoon or your fingers until it is coated with the spices.
- In a medium skillet, heat the cooking oil over medium-high heat.
- Just before the oil begins to smoke, add the shrimp to the pan.
- Quickly toss the shrimp while cooking it for about a minute until it is done.
- Right before you take the shrimp off the heat, add the lime juice and quickly toss the shrimp in juice for a few seconds.
- Then remove the shrimp from the pan and place them on a cutting board.
- Chop the shrimp into smaller pieces.
- Place the tortilla chips on a large microwave safe plate. Be sure to completely cover the plate leaving no spaces between the chips.
- Spread 1 cup of the cheese evenly on top of the chips.
- Now evenly spread the chopped onion, tomato, and jalapeno on top of the chips.
- Sprinkle the minced cilantro evenly on top of the chips. Save some of this for later.
- Place the chopped shrimp evenly on top of the chips, being sure to spread the shrimp to every chip if possible.
- Spread the remaining cheese on top of the chips.
- Carefully place the plate in the microwave.
- Cook the nachos in the microwave on high for about 2 and half minutes.
- Cooking time may vary but you will know they are done once the cheese on outer edge of the nachos is bubbling and the cheese on the inner part is just melted.
- Remove the nachos from the microwave and serve them with salsa and sour cream, sprinkled with the remaining minced cilantro.
Tips: If you need to substitute some ingredients, you can use serrano peppers in place of the jalapenos, you can replace the colby jack cheese with cheddar and mozzarella, and for an added twist you can use lime spiced tortilla chips instead of regular tortilla chips.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter