This is Bibingka. This is a type of rice cake from the Philippines that traditionally eaten during the Christmas season. It is made with rice flour, coconut milk, margarine, sugar and shredded coconut. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons of margarine, melted
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh milk
- 1-2 pieces of salted duck egg, sliced
- grated edam cheese for topping
- grated coconut for topping
- banana leaf or parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together (this includes the rice flour, baking powder, white sugar and salt).
- Mix the ingredients together until they are well blended then set them aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted margarine, fresh milk and coconut milk then mix well.
- Now add the beaten eggs then mix well, preferably using a hand mixer at low speed, until this mixture has a smooth texture.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients while continuously stirring.
- Continue to stir until you have a smooth batter without any lumps.
- Set this mixture aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare moulds such as ramekins or a baking pan lined with banana leaf or parchment paper.
- Pour the batter into your baking dish.
- Bake this in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove it from oven then place salted egg slices and cheese on top of the cake(s).
- Then put it back in the oven and bake for 20 more minutes or until it turns a golden brown color.
- Remove it from oven then brush it with margarine and sprinkle it with sugar followed by grated coconut.
- Serve while hot and Enjoy!
Tips: You can also use muffin molder instead of baking pan if you want. If you have a hard time finding any edam cheese for the topping, you can substitute it with gouda or fontina cheese.