This is Buko Pandan. Buko Pandan is a refreshing dessert quite similar to buko salad. This dessert, however, is made with green gelatin cubes instead of the fruits we use for buko salad. And since I love cheddar cheese in most of my salad recipes, I added it on this one too. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 1 pound of shredded young coconut
- 1⁄2 cup of unflavored green gulaman powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of pandan extract or flavoring
- 1 1⁄2 water or fresh buko juice
- 8 ounce can of table cream
- 3-4 tablespoons of condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup of cheddar cheese, cubed
- Dissolve 1⁄2 cup of the gulaman powder in 1 1⁄2 cup water or fresh buko juice.
- Pour the gulaman mixture in a saucepan.
- Add the pandan flavoring and stir over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil while continuously stirring.
- Turn off the heat and pour the gulaman mixture into a square or rectangular mold.
- Refrigerate the gulaman for 30 minutes to 1 hour so it sets.
- Blanch the young coconut in boiling water to prevent it from going bad.
- Drain the water and set the young coconut aside.
- Combine the coconut, condensed milk, cheese and table cream in a mixing bowl.
- Stir gently until well blended then set it aside until the gulaman is ready.
- Remove the gulaman from refrigerator then slice it into cubes.
- Add the gulaman cubes to the coconut and cream mixture.
- Carefully stir the mixture until the cubes are evenly distributed.
- Chill before serving and enjoy!
Tips: You don’t need to use pandan flavoring if you are using pandan flavored gulaman powder. If you are using fresh buko juice instead of water for the gelatin, make sure to boil it first to prevent it from going bad. You can also shred the gulaman instead of slicing it into cubes but only if your gulaman is firm enough. You may reduce the amount of water or buko juice for a firmer gelatin.