This is Chicken Quesadillas. This Mexican dish has relatively few ingredients but lots of flavor. You really can’t go wrong with chicken and cheese coupled with vegetables and tortillas. That combination always seems to work no matter how they come together. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 8 ounces of colby cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces of monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 piece of chicken breast, sliced into 1⁄2 inch strips
- 1-2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- butter or olive oil
- Start by marinating the chicken with some soy sauce and paprika.
- Then chop the bell pepper and onions.
- Shred the colby and montery jack cheese using grater.
- Combine the two cheeses together in a bowl then mix them together until they are well blended.
- Heat a large pan with a little olive oil over medium heat until the oil is hot.
- Add the chicken to the pan and saute for 5 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked, then remove it from the pan.
- While the pan is still hot, add the onions and bell pepper and briefly saute them for about a minute, then remove them from the pan.
- Reduce the heat on the pan for now.
- Now take a tortilla and lay it on a flat surface.
- Spread a fair amount of the cheese on half of the tortilla for your first layer.
- Then add several pieces of the cooked chicken on top of the first layer of cheese, leaving some space between each piece of chicken.
- Next spread some of the onions and bell pepper in between the pieces of chicken.
- Now add a final layer of cheese on top of the chicken and vegetables.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over the chicken, cheese and vegetables making a half moon shape with the tortilla.
- Heat the pan over medium heat then add a little butter.
- Once the butter has melted lift and tilt the pan so the melted butter covers the entire surface of the pan.
- Carefully pick up the tortilla by holding both ends and place it into the pan.
- Be careful not to spill any of the contents of the tortilla into the pan, because that could make the tortilla stick to the pan as it cooks.
- Let this cook for a minute then shake the pan a little to make sure that the tortilla doesn’t stick.
- When the tortilla has begun to brown on one side, quickly add little butter to the empty side of the pan then carefully flip the tortilla by turning it over the folded edge.
- Cook for another minute or until the tortilla starts to brown then remove it from the pan.
- Set it on paper towels to cool and absorb some of the oil.
- Repeat the steps with the remaining ingredients to prepare as many quesadillas as you need.
- When the quesadillas have cooled, cut them into four equal size pieces.
- Serve your quesadillas with a side of salsa or sour cream.
You can use olive oil instead of butter if you want to make it a bit healither. Cheddar and mozzerella cheese are good substitutes for colby and monterey jack too. You can also use precooked chicken, if you have some available. Grilled chicken or rotisserie chicken works great!