This is Ginataang Labong at Hipon. Labong or Bamboo shoots is a vegetable that is rich in fiber and has very few calories. Combined with shrimp and coconut milk, this dish is absolutely delicious. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 1 cup of bamboo shoots (labong)
- 1 pound of shrimp, shells removed and deveined
- 1 can (400 ml) of coconut milk
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled then minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 3 inch piece of ginger, thinly sliced then crushed
- 2-3 tablespoons of fish sauce
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- In a large pot, bring some water to boil over medium heat.
- Add the bamboo shoots to the pot then let it simmer for at least 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the water then set the bamboo shoots aside.
- In a pan, heat a small amount of cooking oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic to the pan followed by onions.
- Add the ginger and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Next add the shrimp and coconut milk to the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low then begin to continuously stir the mixture to avoid curdling.
- Now add the cooked bamboo shoots and fish sauce to the pan then breifly stir once more until the mixture is well blended.
- Cover the pan and allow this to simmer for about 10 minutes while occasionally stirring.
- Once the coconut milk has reduced to the desired sauce consistency remove the pot from the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer this to a serving dish and serve with steamed white rice.
Tips: If you don’t have fresh bamboo shoots, you can use frozen or canned bamboo shoots as an alternative.