- 2-3 small avocados, with at least one being fully ripe
- 1 medium sized tomato, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh cilantro, minced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Start by carefully cutting the avocados in half.
- Twist one side of the cut avocado while holding the other side still, then pull the sides apart.
- Take the side of the avocado that still has the seed in it and hold it in the palm of your hand.
- While still holding the avocado, very carefully, take a small knife and gently chop down on the center of the seed, penetrating it slightly with the knife.
- Twist the knife while pulling it away from the avocado until the seed becomes loose enough to remove.
- Discard the seed and set the cut avocado aside.
- Now take a spoon and scoop the avocado out of the skin and into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Pour half of the lime juice over the avocado and stir briefly to prevent it from starting to turn brown.
- Take a fork and mash the avocado until it is smoother, but still chunky.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl, except for the salt and pepper.
- Stir this all together until it is well blended.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Stir one more time and then it’s done.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more before serving.
Be extremely careful when removing the seed from the avocado. If you aren’t confident in your knife skills or you just don’t want to risk it, consider trying a different method for removing the seed. We just find this method (dangerous as it may be) to be the fastest and easiest way to remove the seeds. Also, don’t let the avocados sit for too long after you cut them. They will start to turn brown in a very short amount of time. Adding the lime juice has the benefit of stopping the browning process. So be sure to add that right away after you remove the skin and seed from the avocado.