This is Lechon Kawali. Lechon Kawali is a pan-roasted pork belly. This dish can be eaten alone or with a side dish such as steamed rice. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 2 pounds of pork belly
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed then peeled
- 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 5 pieces of bay leaf
- water for boiling
- cooking oil for frying
- Put the pork belly, garlic, peppercorns, bayleaf and 1 tablespoon of salt in a large ziplock bag.
- Make sure the pork is coated evenly with all the spices.
- Place the bag of pork in the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
- The next day, put all of the contents of the bag in a large pot.
- Add enough water to cover the pork belly entirely.
- Place the pot over medium heat to simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the pork belly from the pot and let it cool down for a few minutes.
- Rub the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt all over the surface of the meat.
- Heat some cooking oil in a large pot or deep fryer.
- There should be enough oil to completely submerge the pork.
- Deep fry the pork belly until it is golden brown in color and the meat is crispy.
- Remove the meat from oil and set it on some paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- When the pork belly has cooled enough to be handled, chop it into serving pieces.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
Remember when frying the pork belly, the inner part is already fully cooked so you only need to make the outside crisp. This means it should not take very long.