This is Longsilog (Sausage with Garlic Rice and Fried Egg). Longsilog is a short term for longanisa (sausage), sinangag (fried rice) and pritong itlog (fried egg). This is a popular breakfast dish in the Philippines and is usually served with a side dish of fresh tomatoes or cucumber. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 2 cups of chilled white rice
- 1-2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 5 pieces of longanisa
- 1 cup of water for cooking longanisa
- 2-3 eggs, cooked sunny side up
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add water and place the longanisa in the pan.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Continue to boil until the water in the pan evaporates while rolling the longanisa occasionally.
- When the water is gone let the longanisa begin to fry in it’s own oil.
- Continue to fry the longanisa for about 5 minutes while constantly rolling the longanisa to cook them evenly.
- When the longanisa is slightly crisp on the outside, it’s done.
Garlic Fried Rice:
- Heat a clean frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the cooking oil followed by the garlic.
- Cook until garlic turns brown in color with a crispy texture.
- Add the rice to the pan then press it down into the oil and garlic.
- Stir and mix the rice constantly to avoid scorching.
- Cook the rice for about 5-7 minutes or until the rice is hot and well blended
- Add salt to taste then continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer the garlic fried rice into a plate along with your cooked fried eggs and longanisa.
- Prepare some freshly sliced tomatoes as a side dish if you want.
Tips: You can mix in a little bit of butter or margarine while cooking the rice so it’s easier to break it down. Don’t add too much because it will make the rice too oily.