This is Menudo (Diced Pork with Vegetables in Tomato Sauce). Pork Menudo is made of garlic, onions, tomato, sliced or diced pork, liver (from pig or calf), diced potato, raisins, diced carrots, green bell peppers, soy sauce, vinegar or calamansi and tomato sauce, and seasoned with salt and pepper while it is cooked. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 2 pounds of pork belly
- 1⁄2 pound of pork liver
- 1 cup of diced carrot
- 1 cup of diced potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup of chopped red or green bell pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup of cooking oil
- 1 cup of water
- Add the cooking oil to a pan over meduim-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, fry the potatoes and carrots for about 4 to 5 minutes then remove them from the pan and set those aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic and onion together for a few minutes.
- Then add the pork belly and water to the pan.
- Bring this to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the pork liver and tomato sauce and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add the fried carrots and potatoes, cooked chickpeas, red or green bell pepper, and brown sugar then simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.