This is Paksiw Na Isda . Paksiw na Isda (Fish Poached in Vinegar and Ginger) is fish cooked in vinegar and other few ingredients. This dish is only requires basic ingredients unless you want to add vegetables such as eggplant and okra. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 2 pieces of fish, about 1⁄2 pound each, cleaned and scales removed
- 1 eggplant, quartered (optional)
- 3 pieces of okra, top end trimmed (optional)
- 2 long green peppers (siling haba) or red chillies
- 1 ginger root, sliced then crushed
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- 1 head of garlic, crushed then peeled
- 1 cup of vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of whole peppercorns
- fish sauce or salt
- white sugar
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- In a large saucepan, put half of the garlic, onion, ginger and some peppercorns at the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange fish on top.
- Add the remaining garlic, onion, peppercorns and ginger.
- Add water, vinegar, oil and fish sauce.
- Cover and simmer in low to medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add okra, eggplant and siling haba.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
- Season with more fish sauce if desired and sugar according to taste.
- Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with steamed rice and enjoy!.
Tips: This is best eaten if refrigerated for several hours, then reheat before serving. Adjust the sourness of the sauce by adding a little bit of sugar.