Beef ampalaya is one of the easiest dish to prepare as it requires very few ingredients that you may already have in the fridge.
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce.
- 1 tablespoon of liquid seasoning.
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- 3 tablespoons of water.
- 1 pounds of beef, cut into 1 inch thick.
- 1 large ampalaya (bitter gourd or bitter melon).
- 1/2 of red onion, sliced.
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled then minced.
- Season your beef with a pinch of salt
- Then add 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Mix until all meat is covered with cornstarch.
- Set aside.
- Slice open the ampalaya along its length.
- Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds and the white pith underneath until the green gourd is exposed.
- Then, slice in 1/4 inch half moons.
- Set aside.
- Read the tip below on how to reduce the bitterness of bittermelon.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sauce, then set aside.
- Turn on heat to medium.
- Add 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Sear the beef for 2 minutes while continuously stirring.
- Once browned, add the garlic and onion.
- Saute until garlic turns golden brown and onion is wilted.
- Add the ampalaya.
- Cover and let simmer for 2 minutes while occasionally stirring.
- Slowly pour in the sauce.
- Let simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Turn off the heat.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle a good amount of sesame seeds before serving.
To reduce the bitterness of the ampalaya is to soak it in 2 to 3 cups of water with 1 teaspoon salt. You can also rub the ampalaya in salt and set aside. Then rinse off the ampalaya to rid of the salt right before cooking so your dish does not get too salty.