This is Kare Kare (Beef Stew in Peanut Sauce). Kare-kare is made from peanut sauce with a variety of vegetables, stewed oxtail, beef, and occasionally tripe. It is often eaten with bagoong (shrimp paste), sometimes spiced with chili. Enjoy this recipe from us at Filipino Chow.
- 2 pounds of oxtail
- 1 bundle bok choy leaves
- 1 puso ng saging or banana bud quartered
- 1 bundle string beans
- 2 pieces of eggplants thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup of annatto oil or diluted annatto powder
- 1⁄4 cup of cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch diluted in 3 tablespoons of water
- 3 cups of water
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons of sauteed shrimp paste, bagoong
- Boil water in a large pot and place in meat.
- Simmer over low heat for about 60 minutes or until tender. Strain and keep the stock. Set aside the boiled oxtail.
- Blanch vegetables in batches into the pot of stock.
- Set aside.
- In separate pan, heat cooking oil. Saute garlic and onion.
- Add in oxtail and saute for a few minutes.
- Pour in broth from boiled oxtail and bring to a boil.
- Add in peanut butter and stir until dissolved. Allow to boil.
- Pour in annatto oil, stir well.
- Add in dissolved cornstarch and salt to taste.
- Stir until desired thickness is achieved.
- Add blanched vegetables.
- Serve with bagoong on the side and steamed rice.