This is Biko with Latik (Rice Cake with Caramel Topping). Biko is a popular Filipino rice cake made from sticky rice and is usually topped with latik. It is often served during parties and holidays. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 2 cups of glutinous rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1 3⁄4 cups of brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups of coconut milk
- 1 can of coconut milk for latik topping (optional)
- In a pot bring glutinous rice and water to a boil.
- Cook this until the rice is done and almost dry then remove from heat and set that aside.
- In another pot combine 2 1⁄2 cups of coconut milk and brown sugar.
- Bring this to a boil.
- Add the cooked rice.
- Cook over low heat for about about 30-40 minutes while stirring constantly until the rice mixture is almost dry and sticky.
- Remove from heat.
- Transfer to a serving tray.
For the Topping:
- Heat 1 cup of coconut milk in a pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Keep stirring for about 15-20 minutes until the milk turn into oil and leave a solid residue.
- Remove from heat and spread the latik on top of the Biko.
- Serve warm.