This is Binagoongang Baboy (Pork in Fermented Shrimp Paste). Binagoongang baboy is a traditional Filipino dish, cooked with pork and shrimp paste. This is a favorite dish of many Filipinos and some has many different ways in cooking this dish. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 1 1⁄2 pounds of pork belly, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons of shrimp paste
- 2 pieces of large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled then minced
- 1⁄2 cup of white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of peppercorns
- cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 cup of water
- Combine the pork, vinegar, water and half of the garlic and onion in a pan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Set aside, separating the sauce from the pork.
- In a separate pan, saute the remaining garlic and onion in oil.
- Add the tomatoes and stir fry until the tomatoes wilted.
- Add the boiled pork.
- Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and peppercorns.
- Then add the sauce from the boiled pork and bring to a boil.
- Add the shrimp paste.
- Simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice.