This is inagoongang Talong. Binagoongang Talong is a vegetable dish cooked in shrimp paste. This particular dish is normally made with pork but we are using eggplant this time. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced diagonally
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons of bagoong alamang (shrimp paste)
- 1 tablespoon of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- sugar to taste
- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
- When the oil gets hot add 1 tablespoon of garlic followed by the onions then saute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until this all becomes tender.
- Add the slices of eggplant and 1⁄2 cup of water.
- Simmer this for about 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar according to your taste.
- Add a little more water if needed to adjust the flavor.
- Add the bagoong and cook for another 5 minutes or until the eggplant is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove this from the heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with steamed rice.