This is Chicken Inasal. It is distinct for its yellowish color brought about by the application of achuete or annatto oil. This dish is best eaten with garlic rice and pickled green papaya as a side dish. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 6 parts (legs, wings, breasts)
- bamboo skewers
For marinating sauce:
- 1⁄2 cup of coconut vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of ginger, minced
- 5 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 stalks of chopped lemon grass
- 1⁄4 cup of sugar
- salt and pepper
For basting sauce:
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter or margarine
- 1⁄4 cup of soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup of annatto oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon or calamansi extract
- leftover marinade sauce
- In a large pan or bowl combine the chicken with the coconut vinegar, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, salt, sugar and pepper.
- Marinate for about 1 to 3 hours.
- Skewer the chicken using the bamboo skewers.
- Grill the chicken while basting occasionally with the reserved marinade.
- Continue to cook the chicken until the juices from inside the chicken run clear.
- Place the chicken on a platter along with garlic fried rice, pickled green papaya and spiced vinegar or soy sauce with calamansi and red chili peppers.
- Serve and enjoy.
Basting while grilling is important. It doesn't just add flavor to what you are grilling. Basting the chicken occasionally with the basting sauce while you grill it will help keep the chicken from sticking to the grates in this case.