This is Cornsilog (Corned Beef with Garlic Rice and Fried Egg). Cornsilog is a short term for Corned beef, sinangag (fried rice) and pritong itlog (fried egg). This is one of the popular silog breakfast combination in the Philippines and is usually served with a side dish of fresh tomatoes or cucumber. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 2 cups of chilled white rice
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 can (150 grams) of corned beef
- 1 small-sized onion, cut into rings
- 1 egg, cooked sunny side up
- salt and freshly ground pepper for corned beef
Corned beef :
- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil then saute 1 tablespoon of garlic followed by half of onion rings.
- Add corned beef and stir cook for 5-10 minutes or until done.
- Add salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat off.
- Garnish with leftover onion rings.
Garlic Fried Rice:
- Heat a clean frying pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil followed by 2 tablespoons of garlic.
- Cook until garlic turns golden brown in color.
- Add the rice to the pan then press it down into the oil and garlic.
- Stir and mix the rice constantly to avoid scorching.
- Cook the rice for about 5-7 minutes or until the rice is hot and well blended.
- Add salt to taste then continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer the garlic fried rice into a plate along with your cooked corned beef and fried egg.
- Prepare some freshly sliced tomatoes as a side dish if you want.
You can mix in a little bit of butter or margarine while cooking the rice so it’s easier to break it down. Don’t add too much because it will make the rice too oily.