This is Ensaladang Guso (Seaweed Salad). This recipe uses guso, which is the edible form of seaweed, as its main ingredient. Although guso is quite common in the Philippines, this ingredient can be a tricky to find, depending on where you live. So ask around if you need to. Also note that the pineapple in the picture is not essential to the recipe but I find it to be a good flavor combination. Try it out! Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 1/2 pound of seaweed, rinsed
- 1 large tomato, cored and chopped
- 1 medium sized red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup of vinegar
- 1 small knob of ginger, peeled and minced
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of sugar
- salt to taste
- Combine the vinegar, ginger, onion, salt, pepper and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Stir this mixture until it is well blended.
- Let this sit and marinate for 5 minutes.
- Now add the seaweed and tomato to the mixing bowl.
- Stir again until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Now let this sit for 10 more minutes.
- Transfer this to a serving dish.
- Serve this chilled or at room temperature.
You can put the liquid mixture in the refrigerator to chill each time you set it aside to marinate if you would like to serve this cold. A great idea for a hot day! Also if you find the ginger to be too over powering for the dish, simply omit it.