This is Filipino Chicken Curry. Filipino style chicken curry is a variation of the curry recipes from other culinary traditions of Asia. The recipe varies from person to person but the one thing that typically remains the same in all the variations is the yellow curry and the coconut milk. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 1 whole chicken (about 2 pounds)
- 2 large onions, quartered then coarsely chopped
- 3 red or green bell peppers, cut into thick strips
- 2-3 carrots, cut into 1 1⁄2 inch long pieces
- 2 potatoes, cut into large cubes
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed then peeled
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) of coconut cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups of water
- 4 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce (patis)
- Cut the chicken into small serving pieces then rinse them thoroughly with water and set them aside.
- Start with a large pan or wok over medium-high heat with a little cooking oil.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan then stir fry the mixture for about 5-10 minutes.
- When the chicken is mostly cooked through, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- In the same pan over medium-high heat, add a little more cooking oil followed by the garlic and onions.
- Saute the garlic and onions for a few minutes or until the onions have wilted.
- Then add the coconut cream, water, carrots, and potatoes to the pan.
- Now add the chicken back to the pan then stir to mix everything together.
- Bring this to a boil then season the mixture with black pepper powder and fish sauce to taste.
- Cover this with a lid and let it continue to cook while occasionally stirring until the carrots and potatoes are almost fully cooked.
- Add the bell peppers to the pan and stir to blend them in with the sauce.
- Let this continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or until all the ingredients are fully cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heating element and let it cool a bit.
- Transfer the curry to a serving dish and serve with steamed rice.
To make a more spicy chicken curry add 2-3 minced chili peppers to the mixture while it’s cooking. Be sure to remove the chilis before serving the curry.