This is Ginisang Ampalaya at Itlog. Ginisang Ampalaya at Itlog is a healthy breakfast that anyone would want to eat, because of the very few ingredients it requires. There are ways to better enjoy this recipe by getting rid of the bitter taste of the ampalaya. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 1 piece of bitter melon (ampalaya), seeds removed and cut into thin slices
- 1-2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten slightly
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- salt for the bitter melon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Place the bitter melon in a large bowl.
- Add salt and luke warm water to the bowl.
- Let this sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, drain the water.
- Using a layer of cheesecloth dab the bitter melon to absorb excess moisture then set it aside.
- In a large pan saute the garlic followed by onions until the garlic turns golden brown and the onions become translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook them until the tomatoes are soft.
- Then add the bitter melon and cook for 3 minutes.
- Now pour the beaten eggs over the mixture.
- Let the eggs cook until partially done.
- Then stir the mixture until the bitter melon has softened and is fully cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving dish.
- Serve with steamed rice and enjoy!