This is Minatamis Na Saging. Minatamis na saging or sweetened bananas in caramel syrup is a traditional snack in the Philippines. This is so easy to make and requires very few, affordable ingredients. We added calamansi juice to this recipe to have that sweet and sour effect to it. I think it is better this way so it’s not too sweet. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 8-10 pieces of ripe banana plantains (saging na saba), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup of water
- 1⁄2 cup of brown sugar
- a few drops of calamansi or lemon juice (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Boil water in a medium-sized sauce pan.
- Dissolve the brown sugar in the water and bring it to boil.
- Add the vanilla essence to the pan.
- Add the bananas to the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Let this cook until the bananas are tender and the syrup thickens.
- Add the calamansi juice and simmer for another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Put as much or as little calamansi juice in the syrup depending on your taste. If you want to eat this cold, add crushed ice and evaporated milk and you will have a serving of Saging con Hielo.