This is Nilagang Baboy (Pork Short Ribs Soup). Nilagang Baboy is a Filipino soup that has a clear, flavorful broth and meaty taste. Taste the fork-tender pork short ribs and zesty liquid. Perfect for cold weather or when you’re feeling ill. See how easy it is to make this Filipino soul food with these easy to follow instructions, step-by-step guide and vivid images. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 2 pounds of pork short ribs, cut into smaller pieces
- 2 medium sized potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cabbage, cut into quarters
- 1 medium-sized onion, cut into quarters
- 1 large thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of whole peppercorns
- 1-2 tablespoons of fish sauce (patis)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high.
- Carefully add the ribs to the boiling water then let it cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions, ginger, garlic, peppercorns and fish sauce to the pot.
- Cover the pot and let this simmer for one (1) additional hour.
- Check the pot periodically and add more water if needed as it cooks.
- Add the potatoes to the pot and stir until well blended
- Let this cook for an additional 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Next add the cabbage to the pot and stir again.
- Cook this for 5 more minutes.
- Now add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the soup to serving bowl and serve.
You can substitute the pork short ribs for many other cuts of meat if you happen to have something else on hand or if the short ribs are hard to find on any given day.