This is Pork Tocino (Sweet Cured Pork). Tocino is a sweetened, cured pork that is pan fried. It is typically served at breakfast in the Philippines along with fried rice and eggs. This is one of the most well known breakfast dishes in the Philippines. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 2 pounds of pork, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup of brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup of lemon-lime soda
- 1⁄4 cup of pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup of soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon of garlic powder
- cooking oil for cooking
- 2 cups of water for cooking
- red food coloring
- Combine the sugar, soy sauce, garlic powder, lemon-line soda and a few drops of red food coloring in a container with a lid.
- Mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place the sliced pork in the mixture then toss until the pork is fully coated with mixture.
- Cover the container with the lid then place it in the refridgerator for 1 to 3 days to allow the meat to cure.
- To cook the tocino begin by heating medium size pan over medium-high heat.
- Add a little water in the pan then add the cured pork.
- Allow this to simmer uncovered until all of the water is gone.
- When all of the water is gone add a bit of cooking oil.
- Fry the pork until a light brown crust appears around the edges of the meat then remove it from the heat.
- Serve with garlic fried rice and fried egg.
You can also cure the pork in a Ziploc bag if you wish.