This is Puto with Cheese. Puto is a rice cake that is typically round in shape, white, and soft. It is usually served at breakfast or as a snack and is often prepared for festive occasions such as Christmas and New Years. A variety of toppings are common for these rice cake. Some of the most frequently used toppings are cheese, grated coconut, and dried fruits. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 5 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cup of sugar
- 8 tablespoons of baking powder
- 5 tablespoons of no-fat milk powder
- 1⁄4 cup of butter or margarine, melted
- 4 cup of water
- cheese, grated or sliced for topping
- In a large bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder and milk powder together.
- Stir this mixture well.
- Add the melted butter and water.
- Mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Pour into greased muffin cups or individual molds filling each about three-quarters full.
- Top each with the grated or sliced cheese.
- Place all the cups or mold, or as many that will fit, in a steamer.
- Steam for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
These go best with any variety of Blood Stew or other thick soups or stews. They also work great as dessert eaten alone.