This is Shrimp Curry. Shrimp Curry is another delectable curry dish. You can actually make a curry dish with almost any meat or vegetable. In this dish, we used the shrimp heads to make a shrimp broth. That made the flavor of this dish outstanding because you can really taste the shrimp in it. If you are looking for a good meal, shrimp curry is a good choice because shrimp are a high-protein, low-calorie alternative to other meats and fish. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 1 pound of medium-sized fresh shrimp, shells removed but keep the heads
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) of coconut milk
- 1 red or green bell pepper, cut into thick strips
- 1 medium-sized potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed then peeled
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- fish sauce to taste (patis)
- Remove the heads of the shrimps.
- Boil the shrimp heads with 2 cups of water in a sauce pan for about 5 minutes.
- Then remove the shrimp heads from the water and continue to let it boil for another 5 minutes until it reduces down to make a shrimp broth.
- Discard the heads and set the broth aside.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, saute the garlic in a little cooking oil for a few minutes until the garlic begins to brown.
- Then add the onions to the pan and continue to cook for another minute or two, but don't burn the garlic.
- Now add the curry powder and stir until well blended.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pan, then add the shrimp broth and stir until well blended.
- Bring this to a boil then add the carrots and potatoes to the pan.
- Let this boil for about 5 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are half cooked.
- Next add the bell peppers and cook for and additional 3-5 minutes.
- Now put your shrimp into the pan and stir to mix the shrimp in with the sauce.
- Let this simmer for a few more minutes until shrimp changes color and is fully cooked.
- Add the fish sauce and black pepper to taste the stir to mix that with the sauce.
- Turn off the heat and carefully transfer the curry to a serving dish.
- Serve with steamed rice and enjoy!
The best way to get that shrimp flavor in the sauce is to use the shrimp heads to make a broth, as describe above. If you want a thicker sauce, you can stir in a cornstarch and water mixture. You may also add other vegetables to this dish as well.