This is Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry. A good stir fry involves a lot of stirring and high heat. That’s really why it’s called a stir fry. So just keep stirring. The rest takes care of itself. For this stir fry we use fresh shrimp and a mix of vegetables. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 1 pound of medium-sized shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper
- 1 medium-sized green bell pepper
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- 8 ounces of shiitake mushrooms
- 5-10 pieces of baby corn
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled then minced
- 1⁄2 cup of shrimp broth
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper powder
- pinch of sugar
- garlic, minced
- dash of sesame oil
- cooking oil
- Combine the shrimp broth, cornstarch, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil in a bowl.
- Stir the mixture together until it is well blended then set it aside.
- In a large pan or wok, heat the cooking oil over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, carefully add the shrimp to the pan and immediately begin to toss and stir it.
- Cook the shrimp briefly until the outside begins to turn to a pink color.
- Transfer the cooked shrimp to a plate and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the same pan.
- Add the carrots to the pan then sauté for a few minutes.
- Then add the garlic and onion to the pan and stir to mix everything together.
- Sauté for a couple minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add the mushrooms and baby corn then continue to sauté.
- Now add the red and green bell peppers and stir to blend.
- Continue to stir and toss the mixture for a few more minutes.
- Add the shrimp we have set aside earlier and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the pan then stir to mix it all together.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the pan from the heating element and transfer the stir fry to a serving dish.
- Serve hot over steamed rice.
Instead of using shrimp bouillon, you can make a shrimp broth by briefly boiling the leftover shrimp heads and shells then reducing the liquid. Before you begin, make sure you have all your ingredients chopped and ready to go because a stir fry cooks fast. You won’t have time to do any chopping once you start cooking. Also keep in mind that the sequence in which you add the ingredients to the pan depends on the amount of time it will take for that ingredient to cook. So its important to consider how thick you slice some ingredients. The thicker the cut on things like carrots the longer it will take for them to be fully cooked.