This is Sinabawang Isda. If you are serving for more than two people, double the amount for each ingredient. When cooking this kind of dish, we usually add lemon grass to add aroma and that distinct flavor to the soup. This dish is so easy to prepare and require very little time to cook. This is so refreshing due to the lemon grass added. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 1 pound of fish (mackerel) cut into serving size
- 1 long green chili
- 1 pound of baby bokchoy, cleaned
- 1 small thumb sized ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3-5 cloves of large garlic, peeled
- 1 medium sized red onion, quartered
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, quartered
- 1 stalk of lemon grass, cleaned and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- Heat 8 cups of water in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- When the water is boiling, add the ginger, garlic, onion, tomatoes, green chili and lemon grass to the pot.
- Let this simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now add the fish to the pot.
- Let this cook for another 7 minutes or until the fish is fully cooked.
- Add the fish sauce to the pot and stir briefly.
- Next add the baby bokchoy to the pot.
- Stir the pot again until the baby bokchoy is completely submerged by the broth.
- Now let this cook for another 1 minute or a little more.
- Turn off heat and remove the stalk of lemon grass.
- Serve hot in a bowl with steamed white rice.
If you plan to serve this to a larger crowd, simply double the ingredients and cook in the same manner as described above.