Beef Stewed in Tomato Sauce with Vegetables (Kalderetang Baka). Kaldereta is a Filipino stew that is most often prepared with beef or goat meat. The sauce is what this dish is most known for. It is flavored heavily with liver spread and tomato sauce. We add a little liver spread as an additional flavor component. The vegetables in this version include red bell pepper, potatoes, and sweet peas. These are pretty common for this dish as well. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 2 pounds of beef, chuck or sirloin, sliced or cubed
- 2-3 cups of beef stock
- 1 bulb of garlic, peeled then minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of sweet peas
- 1/2 cup of liver spread
- 3 pieces dried bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a large pot medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots and potatoes to the pan and stir fry them until it turns light brown.
- Remove the carrots and potatoes from the pot and set it aside.
- In the same pot, saute the garlic followed by onion.
- Add the beef and stir fry for 5-7 minutes or until the beef turns light brown.
- Add the dried bay leaves.
- Stir until well blended.
- Add the tomato sauce, cook for another minute, then add the beef broth.
- Reduce heat to low and let this simmer for 1-2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Mix in the liver spread.
- Add the potatoes and carrots to the pot, cook for about 8 – 10 minutes or until both the meat and potatoes are tender.
- Then add the red and green bell peppers and sweet peas.
- Simmer for an additional 8 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
- Serve with white steamed rice.
Tips: You can pre-cook the potatoes in the microwave to cut down the overall cooking time. Put the quartered potatoes in a bowl, drizzle with a little oil, cover with a clear plastic wrap, and pre-cook in the microwave for 3-4 minutes.