This is Champorado (Chocolate Rice Porridge). Champorado is a sweet rice porridge normally eaten during breakfast or as a mid-day snack. It is made with sticky rice boiling with cocoa powder and brown sugar then served with swirls of milk on top. This is best eaten with dried fish on the side. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 1 cup of glutinous rice
- 1⁄4 cup of cocoa powder, dissolved in 1 cup of warm water
- 1⁄2 cup of brown sugar
- 3 cups of water
- Evaporated or condensed milk
- Wash rice with water until it runs clear.
- Place the glutinous rice and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Pour cocoa mixture into a pot then stir continuously until well blended.
- Adjust the sweetness with brown sugar then continue cooking until rice is cooked and the texture becomes thick.
- Transfer to serving plate with swirls of milk on top.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
You may also add vanilla flavoring for an interesting twist.