This is Tortang Talong (Eggplant Omelet). This dish is a classic Filipino breakfast dish that is common across all regions of the Philippines. It’s simple, rather healthy, easy to prepare, filling, and flavorful. The perfect meal to start the day with. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at .
- 4 Asian eggplants
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- Broil or grill the eggplants until they are tender and the skin is charred and blistered in appearance.
- Remove them from the heating element and let them cool.
- Once they have cooled peel the skin of the eggplant and retain the crown and the stem.
- Gently flatten the meat of the eggplant using a fork being careful not to break the connective tissue leaving it in one whole piece.
- Set the eggplant aside.
- In a bowl beat the eggs and season this with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Heat the cooking oil in pan over medium-high heat.
- Dip each eggplant into the beaten egg one at a time .
- Bring the bowl near the pan then tilt the bowl to the side slightly and gently lower the eggplant into the pan.
- Fry the eggplant until it is golden brown on one side, then flip it over and brown the other side.
- Remove the eggplant from the pan and let it cool on a paper towel.
- Repeat this process until all the remaining eggplant have been cooked.
- Serve with your choice of rice, sauce, and garnish.